Friday 31 August 2012

'I Love College'!

So I've just had my first week of classes! I'd heard a lot of things about what the classes would be like - that they're easier, that the lecturers set lots of homework, that they have huge class sizes - so I wasn't sure what to expect. Luckily, my classes are, in general, really interesting!
 
San Francisco - This might be my favourite class so far! It's a Humanities class, so we're learning about the history, literature and culture of SF from differing points of view - from women to Native Americans. And it's very useful to get to know the city! The lecturer is VERY casual but it's fun.

The Geography of Ethnic Communities - So far, we've been talking about how politics affects geography, for example the distribution of wealth in different areas of the city. Definitely more serious than the San Francisco class! It's also interesting to see what people think about issues which relate to the UK too - we were speaking about the US involvement in Syria, and some people were a bit anti-UK. I didn't mention I was English.

Dynamics of the American City - This is a 3-hour evening class, so a bit of a drag, but the course itself is interesting. It's an Urban Planning and Studies class, and everyone (including the lecturer) couldn't believe that in the UK, cities are not characterised by population, but whether the area has a cathedral or not. I couldn't really explain it either!

Principles of Marketing - yes, you read that correctly. I just thought this class would be useful for my future, practical, etc., but I'm totally new to the subject! It's also weird because it's an online class, so the lecture is recorded and I watch it in my own time. It's because they can't have 800 people in one class!


Studying hard obviously.

Speaking of class sizes, mine aren't much different to the class sizes at Hull - some have 40 people, some have 100 - but the difference is that students aren't automatically assigned into particular classes, so if the class they're required to take is full, they have to 'crash' the class, and sit on the floor because all the desks are taken. It's quite shocking! Apparently it's due to education cuts.

Luckily, there's always a desk for me - most of the desks are attached to the chairs on the right hand side, but there are a few with the desk on the left on the far side of the room. I'm a leftie, so I have to sit in the segregated section.

I don't think that the topics are easier than in the UK, but I don't know about the assignments - I'll have to see what the standard is like! The difference is that they tend to have mid-term and final exams, so there's a bit more work involved, but I think it's good to have it broken up instead of all the stress at the end of the semester.

And that's my 12 units! All's going well so far!

At the end of the semester, it'll be interesting to look back and see if I feel the same...but in the meantime I can just look at my cute stationary!

 

4 comments:

  1. Ooh sounds really interesting :)
    Aww you have a segregated area?! How cute :p
    Also I LOVE LOVE LOVE the new picture you've got at the top, looks very cute.
    xxxx
    p.s. Like the pen :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I do, unless I want to lean awkwardly to use the desks!
      Why thankyou tamsy, i'm still not 100% happy with it, but it'll do for now! Maybe needs a bit more editing. But it fit my theme!
      Haha it's the ONLY pen I brought! Xx

      Delete
  2. so pleased you're enjoying it and LOVE the stationary.
    your picture is gorgeous, i agree with tams.
    it's amazing to read this and understand your life over there: my blog is trying to live up to yours!
    loveyou
    xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THANK YOU! I'm glad you like it, it's like you're here with me! love love xx

      Delete