Saturday 11 August 2012

Universal.

Our entire first day in L.A. was pretty much taken up with a trip to Universal Studios. Although I've never been, I imagine this is pretty different to the theme parks in Orlando, as this is actually a working soundstage, where they make films and TV shows!

As you arrive, you enter through the Citywalk - insane.


We then headed to Waterworld, which apparently was a terrible film, but makes a fantastic show!

The set was pretty impressive:



After the show, we went on the Studio tour.


The 3D segments were amazing - a King Kong simulation, and a San Francisco Earthquake ( which freaked me out A LOT).

We also some of the sets - we took a trip to the Wild West...




'This town ain't big enough for the both of us', etc.

...and took a trip down Wisteria Lane:





We toured Whoville...




and the Bates Motel set from Psycho, which has been there since 1960!




Weird seeing Whoville behind!


This would be an awesome job.

We also survived a Jaws attack - just - ...



...and witnessed the small town destruction in War of the Worlds.




After a quick bite, we ventured over to Krustyland.





Just me casually checking the height restrictions with a little help from Itchy and Stratchy.

The ride itself was hilarious, if purely for the fact that my dad and I freaked out at the rollercoaster simulation, but eventually ended up enjoying it. I think that counts as facing my fears.

We also took a trip into Lord Farquard's Castle, another 4D simulation.



Ha, Emily's massive head.

Great day!

On the evening, we intended to go and eat at The Grove, which is a pedestrianised shopping district. Now, when people say 'nobody walks in L.A.', they're right - it's impossible to walk between neighbourhoods, as they're all separated by the huge freeways. As a Brit, where EVERYWHERE is walkable, it's a strange concept. So after a veeerry long and confusing detour right into the Hollywood Bowl, where we eventually ended up not at The Grove but on Hollywood Boulevard!

The place was crazy. Loads of people dressed up (including a particularly frightening Michael Jackson) line the Walk of Fame.


Grauman's Chinese Theatre was also pretty cool, with the stars' hands and feet cast in the pavement outside. We managed to spot the Harry Potter cast and lots of other film stars.




not sure why I decided to photograph Eddie Murphy when I could have had George Clooney.

We ate at the California Pizza Kitchen - I had this delicious 'shrimp zucchini' fettuccine (I hate American words already):


And I HAD to photograph my Dad's fish tacos:


They're my signature dish! He said they weren't better than mine. He was definitely lying.

Although it was too dark to photograph, it was pretty cool eating whilst overlooking the Hollywood sign! But luckily our hotel had a mini version...



No comments:

Post a Comment