Friday 1 February 2013

Back in Class.

I can't believe I was in Hawaii only a week ago! It feels like it's been a lifetime.
This week I've barely had time to breathe as I've been starting my new classes and getting back into a routine here in San Francisco.

It looks like I'm going to be quite busy this semester! Although I'm only taking 1 more unit than last semester, making 13 units overall, they're all senior-level classes, so more advanced.
The topics are more focused than last semester too - instead of taking across-the-board subjects, I'm now concentrating on English and History to try and find a decent dissertation topic for my final year.(!)

My schedule is also different - I'm packing all of my classes into Tuesdays and Thursdays, leaving Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays free aside from ballet. It's probably about time I joined the gym!




So my classes are:

Modern Jewish History - a lot more interesting than it sounds! Jewish history from the Medieval period to the Holocaust and the creation of Israel. The professor is also really nice and tries to keep everyone happy. He even gave us our course books for free! I think this is shaping up to be my favourite class so far.

Women in Literature - I was inspired to take more literature classes this time round by my friend Hannah, who was studying English in Iowa last semester. Though English Literature was always my favourite subject in school, since I've been at university I've preferred studying history. Hopefully that will change! In this class I'm studying books written by women, with a feminist slant. As you'd expect, the class is nearly all girls.

American Literature 1914-1960 - The male counterpart of 'Women in Literature'. More reading!

Expatriate Writers in Paris in the 30s and 40s - Though I'm probably not going to find a dissertation subject from this class, I think it's the most interesting out of my literature classes. It combines American literature with my other favourite country - France!
Ballet I - This isn't worth much credit (it's only 1 unit) but I wanted to start dancing again! Since there isn't any club or society to join, I'm lucky to be part of this class. Hopefully I'll learn something new (and I get to wear tights and a leotard!).



So basically: a ton of reading and a bit more exercise!
As well as all of my classes, I'm also hopefully continuing my volunteering at the Curry Senior Center, as well as generally exploring San Francisco. I'm looking forward to the next six months!

No comments:

Post a Comment