Sunday 4 November 2012

The De Young.

 It still surprises me just how much this city has to offer.
This Sunday took us to the De Young Museum, which is in the eastern half of Golden Gate Park. It's the most established fine arts museum in San Francisco, and even better, free on the first weekend of the month for Bank of America customers - me!



 

The De Young! Very 'modern' (read: unattractive).

 
 
We began by looking at the museum's HUGE collection of Polynesian and Native American art...
 

 
 
...before moving on to the American art. Here I am with a portrait of George Washington - as Morgan said, ' he's pretty important...'

 
...and here he is again, this time looking a little green!
 
 
Though a lot of the pieces we saw were great, I was most looking forward to the photography exhibition - I think that photography is a lot more relatable than paintings or sculptures. Currently, the De Young is displaying a series of photographs by Danny Lyon, titled 'This World Is Not My Home'. Over the years, he has captured subjects like the Civil Rights Movement, prisoners in Texas penitentiaries and the biker subculture.
 
 
Self Portrait.
 

This is one of his most famous photographs; from the series Bikeriders '66 - Crossing the Ohio, Louisville.
 
 
More recently, he photographed the Occupy Movement across America. This photograph was taken earlier this year.
 
 
My favourite pictures, though, were those showing the degeneration of New York City suburbs. These below were taken in the South Bronx. 
 
 
I liked the bus photograph so much I bought the postcard!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment