Saturday 3 November 2012

City Lights.

 
Today, myself and Josh went on an inadvertent tourist adventure to North Beach (the original plan was to go shopping for a winter jacket at Union Square). North Beach is not only the Italian quarter - it was also home to the Beat generation in the 50s. A lot of the Beat writers used to live in this neighbourhood, like Jack Kerouac, Alan Ginsberg and Lawrence Ferlinghetti, who owned the City Lights Bookstore.
It still exists, on Columbus Ave!
 



 
Inside it's really cool - around every corner there's something new to look at. As well as having a special section about San Francisco, they also have a whole floor dedicated to Beat poetry.
 
 
I also really liked the tiled floor!
 
 
Afterwards, we grabbed lunch at an Italian cafe - pasta with pesto and salmon.
 
The name of the cafe escapes me, but I know it's directly opposite the Jazz mural on the corner of Columbus and Broadway!

 

 
I don't think I'll ever get tired of the beautiful days here - I don't think I've ever seen 20C temperatures in November!

1 comment:

  1. I'm very jealous of you getting to experience City Lights!! Looks great - definitely need to go there one day :)x

    ReplyDelete