Saturday 1 December 2012

Mel's Drive-in.

 
Tonight we were feeling nostalgic - it must be all the Christmas spirit in the air now it's December 1st.
And where better to go for a nostalgia fix? Mel's Drive-in, a retro 50s diner just off Union Square.
 



Inside it's really kitschy. There's a jukebox, a soda fountain - the works! It's like being in Grease.

 
 
 
Since we were at a diner, I felt it was only right to go for a burger (veggie, of course) with Jack cheese and onion rings.
I was a bit scared before it arrived as the menu told me the burger came with sprouts - what were Brussels sprouts in my mind actually turned out to be watercress, phew!
 
 
 
Of course I had to get a shake, and my roommates told me I had to try a vanilla malt - it's a thick milkshake with pieces of Malteser (Whoppers to the Americans!). I love when you get the extra milkshake on the side in the shaker!
 
 
 
Afterwards we walked to Union Square to have a look at the Macy's Christmas window (to be honest, I think they could do with a few more wreaths, one in each window isn't nearly enough)...
 
 
...and to see the Union Square Christmas tree!
 
 
 
Feeling Christmassy with my favourite people in SF!
 
 
 

1 comment: